Verituner

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:38:18 -0500

Amen!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 10:07 AM
  Subject: Verituner

>I say: If you rely on an external device your tuning ear will
eventually
>fall into a state of disuetude and suddenly you won't be able to
tune
>without a device at all. This is why I only use the CTS-5 to
"help" lay the
>bearings in just one 8ve. Then I turn it off and finish the job by
ear. I
>have yet to have a call-back on my tunings.

Your ears do not suffer for lack of listening. Unisons are/should be =
tuned by ear with the exception
  of problematic unisons at breaks or false beats. Octaves, 2 oct, 3 =
oct, etc. are verified aurally after
  the note is set with the ETD. Your ear is saved for honing, the ETD =
does the pitching.  The bearings
  can be aurally checked too. When I first started using the VT, I =
checked the temperaments aurally
  and finally realized that it was a redundant exercise since the VT =
does a superb job.

  Your ears benefit by the decrease in db reaching them. Instead of =
pounding two notes, you're only
  hitting one note. Two notes are played only to verify, softly, not at =
a string setting volume. Your hand
  will suffer less stress also.

  Your general being benefits by your not having to be constantly 'ON' =
in regards to perception. (After all,
  tuning is probably 10% listening and 90% perception). The machine does =
90% of the work, leaving your
  ears/perception to hone the final 10%.  A notable experience I had =
after starting with the VT was tuning
  for a school one afternoon. The drudgery of practice room =
pianos...after tuning four pianos, I walked out
  of there no worse the wear for having tuned one aurally. My head was =
not bombarded with db and
  befuddled with prolonged, focused concentration.  The VT is a welcome =
assistant.
  I have tweaked the stretch to match my aural tunings.

  Tuning has become so less tedious I almost feel I should be charging =
less... nahhhh.

  In fact, a review of a concert a few months ago included a remark that =
the piano was 'in perfect tune'...
  something which is not usually included in such reviews. I attribute =
what grabbed the reviewer's
  attention was the WT (Broadwood Best) and not so much my squeeky clean =
unisons and octaves. :-)

  Also, the VT User Forum is a wealth of info much the same as this =
forum.

  VT . . . I don't leave home without it.

  Regards,

  Jon Page, piano technician