To ear or not to ear.... was Verituner

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:51:47 +0100

To use or not to... that is the question... seemingly... then comes what
to use... then comes all the argumentation about the consequences one
way or the other.

Seems to me this discussion always ends up in a dog fight where people
start throwing out all these unsavory comments about each others
opinions, indeed each others ability to have an opinion. All based
really on ones own reality, and the evident assumption that it is quite
impossible to experience things significantly differently.... so we make
all kinds of absolute claims about this affect or that affect totally
without any real objective criteria or evidence to support the claims
beyond our own personal experiences.

To discount the potential using a machine has to detrimental affect on a
tuners ability to tune by ear strikes me as naive at best, foolish at
second best, and egotistic puke at worst. I could just as easily turn
that around and say the same about those who out of hand discount the
potential for positive affect these same have on same. Point being this
is not a black and white kind of subject.

Your Tuning Ear does not get better unless it is used, and practiced
with. If you do that with or without an apparatus is of little
consequence. But if you do not use your ears over long periods of
time... do not pay attention to what you are hearing... then you should
not expect your ears to remain just as keenly trained to process the
information it receives well enough to let the brain do its part.

Given the development of electronic instruments that are meant to, and
probably will one day, usurp the acoustic piano.. I'm not sure the
ability of a human to be able to tune by ear is all that important in
the first place.... that said... if you want to forget how to tune... I
cant think of a better way to do so then to forget how to use your ears.

Cheers
RicB