Rock Maple Hammer Cores

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:02:42 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Andre O wrote:

>>English is not my native language and I am not a wood expert I want to
>>ask you what you have against rock maple.
>
>I have nothing against maple for many uses in piano manufacture, but I
>believe there are more suitable woods for hammer cores.
>My early experience with Hormbeam cored Imadagawa hammers put me off using
>hard core wood for hammer cores. You could voice these things forever and
>they still screamed at you, similar to the early series Kawai KG hammers.
>I understand that hammer manufacturers have to be very careful when
>pressing up hammers made with lighter cores such as Walnut or Mahogany. I
>suspect that when using maple (or hornbeam) cores, it is possible to load
>them up to the max. in the press without fear of damaging the core-wood.
>Furthermore, you can imagine how much compressional pressure there must be
>right at the apex of the core. A softer core wood provides for for a level
>of 'give' under the highly compressed hammer felt. This may go some way
>towards explaining why hammers with maple or hormbeam cores are generally
>so bright.
>
>Ron O.
>--

Some time ago I saw a Bluthner piano with hammers having softwood cores (it
appeared to be some sort of pine).  Also the nose of the core was not a
sharp point, as is typical now, but a blunt rounded end.  The piano had a
beautiful tone.  I assumed that the reason we do not see softwood cores
these days was because of strength issues when pressing the hammers.  Would
there be other reasons?  Also, what's the point of the point on the nose of
the core?  Is it tonal, or is it to help in keeping the felt from moving
around when the hammers are pressed (or some other reason)?

Phil Ford

Phillip Ford
Piano Service and Restoration
San Francisco, CA