Dampp-chaser observations

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:50:36

Hi Greg,

Is there a bottom cover?

I believe the recommended installation is a 38 and 25 watt rod with the
bottom cover package. I have experience installing 25, 35 and 50 watt
single rod units. I also have experience in 25 + 25, 38 + 25, and 50 + 25.
The latter three configurations seem to work very well with no
"instabilities" introduced, if a bottom cover is used.

I don't believe that a 25 belly and 25 watt tail would create an
"imbalance", but that is only a but feeling. Your simple logic fails to
include convection currents, and also fails to consider the controller. As
Mr. Einstein use to say "keep it simple, but not *too* simple".

I have used as much as 175 watts of dehumidification on a grand
piano--previous to the bottom cover being introduced.

At 04:25 PM 2/11/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings listers,
>I looked for the
>markings on the rods and they both are 25 watt. Now that makes a little bit
>of sense. The 25 watts will have much more of an affect on a piece of metal
>half the size of the other one. My question to all of you who have ever
>installed or thought about installing one of these systems is; "Does this
>not create an imbalance where the sole purpose of installing a system such
>as this is to gain balance?". Simple logic would seem to dictate that the
>short rod being hotter than the long one would make the tail of the piano
>warmer and therefore dryer than the front under the belly rail.
>Greg Newell
>Greg's piano Forté
>mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net
>
>P.S. you should know that Becky and Roger at Piano Life Saver Systems were
>extremely helpful and congenial as always

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.