knabe quality

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:25:04 EST

In a message dated 2/11/04 8:18:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> In general, how would  list members rate the quality of  Knabe craftsmanship
> back in the early to mid 1960's? To be more specific, there best quality

Terry,

I've seen quite a Knabes few from that era, which was getting near the end of
the Aeolian era.  The pianos of the sixties were decent, though they went
downhill rather quickly in the seventies.  They were all made of decent enough
materials, but towards the end, they seemed to be slapped together rather
hastily.  Very similar to the Chickerings and M and H consoles of that era.  They
were all made by Aeolian.

I liked the effort put into Sohmer pianos at that time.  Of all the console
pianos built then, I'd say that Sohmer tried the hardest to actually make a
good instrument and a beautiful piece of furniture.

Old enough to know,

Dave Stahl