Imadegawa hammers

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:37:53 +0100

Michael Gamble wrote:

>Hello list & Terry P who said: "<Sounds to me like you would be just as well
>served by glueing leather strip
>covering on the existing hammers. Cheers
>RicB>
>

>I've been accused of being gulable, but you've GOT to be joking!"   <<<
>
>I've come across a piano this had been done to. No joke! It does work!!!
>Michael G (UK)

Sure it does.. they used to make hammers more or less this way. But if
you are going to do such a job it should be done well, or it wont result
in a satisfactory sound. Easy enough tho. I did this to a Vieneese grand
once a long ways back. It had origionally had leather on the top layer,
and quite a few of the hammers had either too worn leather, or missing
leather. Sounded just fine.

That said... I am not familiar with the Emerson, and without more
information to go on then the rather vague description of its condition
we've seen so far its difficult to know really what to suggest.

Cheers
RicB