Archives

dm.porritt@verizon.net dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:53:47 -0600

Great idea Ric. You write the code and I'm sure Andy would be happy to install it on the server.  Of course lots of people would write great posts and neglect to insert the [arch] flag so the archives would consist only of posts deemed worthy by the writers who remembered to include the flag.

Well, we both might be fresh out of easy answers!

dave
From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
Date: 2004/02/12 Thu AM 10:46:27 CST
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Archives

dm.porritt@verizon.net wrote:

>This list has spam and porn filters.  They look at the text of messages for specific words and hold-for-approval all messages that contain them.  I'm wondering if we should add words like "Bush" "Kerry" "Dean" "Clinton" and "elect" to the spam filters.
>
>It might be easier to just delete all messages that don't contain "piano".  Hmmmm!

Hmmm is right. I dunno about you... but that tells me that by and large
most list participants simply want the list to be somewhat more then an
out and out topical only forum.  That said... no reason why everything
needs to go to the archives.

Suggestion !! you could require very easily that any post that was to be
saved to the archives be marked appropriately by the sender.....
including some short word-et in the subject line.. like [Arch]. That
way... anyone who meant to say something they felt was worth saving for
future use would have to think twice... it would also make the job of
filtering any remaining nonsense quite easy.... just a thought.

>Dave Porritt, co-chair
>Electronic Communications Committee

Cheers
RicB