Punk Rocker Capstans

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:44:24 -0700

MessageAlan, by loosening the back screws and then tightening the front =
screws, or vice versa, you regulate the rocker capstan.  On an upright, =
first you set the blow distance by shimming the rail, and then take up =
lost motion with the capstan. How this helps you out.

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 8:58 AM
  Subject: Punk Rocker Capstans

  I am wrestling with a very nice old Haines Bros. upright that has the =
two-screw rocker capstans directly connecting the keysticks to the =
stickers.

  I couldn't find much in the archives on regulating this kind of =
system. Help if you can, please...

  The blow was 2 1/2" so I adjusted the rail for a 1 3/4" blow and the =
keys, of course are now all horribly uneven.

  Since the action is all linked, any changes to blow distance, rocker =
adjustment (lost motion), and key height will all interact, working as a =
system.=20

  So how does one regulate such a beast?

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO