Imadegawa hammers

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:46:14 -0800

<I've used Abel cheapies a few times and they are workable... but you may
have to work harder with them to get the kind of sound you want out of an
older piano. But hey... go for it ! :)
Cheers and Peace
RicB>

"Cheapies"?  Which Abels would you be referring to? Maybe you should
re-phrase it to: Their "less expensive line". Afterall, even the "Cheapest"
Cadillac is still VASTLY superior than the best equipped Yugo!

I think you'd have to work a hellava lot harder on the Imadegawas than the
Abels, that's for sure. Unless you WANT cement blocks for hammers! I think
we can safely put this thread to bed; Abels are good hammers overall, and
will give a rounder, mellower tone out-of-the-box than the Imadegawas.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Imadegawa hammers
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:37:29 +0100

pianolover 88 wrote:

>>As for Ables being cheapies... Able certainly makes a cheapie line...
>
>Cheers
>RicB<
>
>While you wouldn't or at least shoudn't put, say, Imadegawas on a Steinway,
>you sure should not feel compelled to buy THE-MOST-EXSPENSIVE, or Top-of
>the line hammers for an 1896 Emrson upright either!  ***Yes, if the
>customer wants to, or  can afford to pay the difference, fine. And I give
>them the options and explain the pros & cons so they can make an informed
>decision)***

Well Jimmenees there Terry... :)  I dont think I said you should buy the
most expensive hammers out there.  There are some pretty decent sets for not
so much money... and some sets you'd probably be less then satisfied with
for not so much less money as well as the top o' da line stuff.

I've used Abel cheapies a few times and they are workable... but you may
have to work harder with them to get the kind of sound you want out of an
older piano. But hey... go for it ! :)

>Again, I'd bet I'm by NO means alone on this list when I say that Abels is
>a perfectly good (albeit one good) choice.  On the other hand there just
>might be a few techs, SOMEWHERE in the world who would try to cut their
>costs to the bone by going the cheapest route possible; that is certainly
>NOT what I'm about.
>
>Terry Peterson

Again... I didnt mean to frazzle your dazzle.. hehe... or insinuate anything
in particular... 'K ??

Cheers and Peace
RicB