First sighting of Kawai Upright with adjustable keyweight

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:57:30 EST

List,

I saw one of these Kawai uprights today(though I forget the proprietary
name), and it's interesting.  I didn't get as long as I'd have liked to look it
over, it seems pretty simple, as in "why didn't I think of that?"  There is a
rail parallel to the keyboard that slides fore and aft, moving the flange,
sticker, felt assembly to put it in the preferred position.  The whole thing is
operated by a lever on the right cheek block.

One curiosity is that the flanges and stickers are made of wood.  Given that
Kawai has long used ABS parts, and has now graduated to carbon graphite for
the more expensive grand wippens, why the retro parts?  Mr. Mannino?

I think it's a great idea, and it looks very easy to service.

Dave Stahl