crackling soundboards!

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:47:41 EST

In a message dated 2/13/2004 5:13:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
draine@comcast.net writes:
We've had comparatively mild winters here in New England for a number
of years, so folks have been a bit shocked by the string of subzero
days we had in January. The relative humidity took a major dive too,
and the results are now being noted. A local school system replaced
their worn out pianos last year, and I had the displeasure of  pointing
out four cracks in their year old Boston grand's soundboard. And last
week when I pointed out some cracks in a church's older KG-2D's
soundboard, and suggested a Dampp-Chaser System might help with tuning
stability and the continued survival of the board, the pastor and music
director decided to drop by a piano dealer to ask them what they
thought of  Dampp-Chasers. The sales woman's reply was that during the
cold snap the mall's heat got cranked up higher, and several pianos on
the floor sprouted major cracks!
So ... The church decided to have the DC installed this week.
I realize this may not be "major news" but at least it isn't totally
off topic!

Patrick
    Patrick
  I've also heard of some rebuiblders in your area  & farther up toward the
big apple that have experienced the same things in some of there more recent
belly jobs.  The cracks are starting around the edges of the boards. Can you
confirn this? WHere are the ones you've seen?
Some have had do overs. Is this weather phenomena common back there?
   Dale

Dale Erwin
Erwins Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd, Modesto, Ca. 95357