Puzzler: instant rust

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:04:28 -0700

Hi Dave,
The owners heard that the piano or pinblock might dry out so they are =
misting the piano?
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 10:57 PM
  Subject: Puzzler: instant rust

  Listers,=20

  I had a tuning today on a brand new Kawai RX-3 6 foot 2 grand.  The =
piano has been in the house for maybe 3 months.  It was closed up tight, =
but when I opened it, I saw that rust was already starting to form on =
the strings and on some of the pins.  I was shocked, and was at a loss =
to figure out how this could happen, especially in a house with radiant =
heating(that's another issue).  =20

  It is on caster cups on a painted cement slab floor, and there are no =
plants in the room.=20

  I had a few ideas, and I'm pretty sure I figured out the reason for =
this early oxidation, especially after talking to the rather freaked-out =
owner tonight.=20

  So what, in your esteemed opinions, might this be caused by?=20

  Dave "rust never sleeps and neither do I" Stahl