Rust on strings

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:36:17 -0500

My first guess would be the cement floor. Specially if the house was
recently remodeled, the cement floor might not be dry yet. The other thing
that comes to mind is the cleaner used to clean the floor. These cleaners
are sometimes cautic and if the floor is left wet, the chemicals will get in
the surrounding air and attack the metal strings.

You could recommend a poly sheet under the piano. This sheet could be
covered with a carpet. This could help the acoustics ( I don't like the way
pianos sound on concrete).

Just my 2 c

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
  Sent: 13 fevrier, 2004 09:10
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Rust on strings

  James,

  There is seldom need for DC units installed in this region, the SF Bay
Area.  I'm not sure of the relative humidity, but it is very temperate.
Most of the old pianos that have spent their lives in this area, if cared
for, are in good condition.  I so seldom see rust on piano strings, that
seeing it on a piano this new really surprised me.

  The house is a newly remodeled, multi-million dollar home with digitized
this and that, climate control, yada, yada...which is another reason I was
taken aback by this.

  I made several recommendations based on my observations, but whether or
not they are necessary depends on a couple of things.

  I'll wait and see if a few more people want to guess at it, then I'll let
you know what I'm pretty certain is the cause.

  Dave

  In a message dated 2/13/04 5:49:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,