Rust on Strings

Brian L Janey brianjaney@juno.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:37:38 -0800

Dave -

A couple of possibilities:

1.) A over zealous cleaning lady with a damp cloth trying to remove dust
[who maybe does her cleaning when the piano owner is not paying
attention]?
2.) Furr-ball walking about in the piano when the lid is up [owner
unaware], or worse yet, taking naps on the strings? Those little paws can
carry moisture from the cool/damp concrete floors on to the strings.

Just a couple of ideas...
Brian Janey
Fallbrook, CA

Listers,

I had a tuning today on a brand new Kawai RX-3 6 foot 2 grand.  The piano
has been in the house for maybe 3 months.  It was closed up tight, but
when I opened it, I saw that rust was already starting to form on the
strings and on some of the pins.  I was shocked, and was at a loss to
figure out how this could happen, especially in a house with radiant
heating(that's another issue).

It is on caster cups on a painted cement slab floor, and there are no
plants in the room.

I had a few ideas, and I'm pretty sure I figured out the reason for this
early oxidation, especially after talking to the rather freaked-out owner
tonight.

So what, in your esteemed opinions, might this be caused by?

Dave "rust never sleeps and neither do I" Stahl