Optimum Bridge height

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:42:15 -0600

>Okay, let me be more specific.  I'm replacing a soundboard on a Steinway M.
>I'm replacing the pinblock first.  The original block tapers down gradually
>so that the treble side is about 1/8" thinner than the bass side.  This
>corresponds to a similar change in original string height from tenor to
>high treble.   Since I am replacing the board and bridges (new caps on old
>root), I don't see any reason to duplicate this pattern exactly or why the
>top end treble shouldn't have the same string height as the tenor.  Unless,
>the added thickness that will result at the treble end of the bridge is of
>any significance.   Am I wrong to ignore this.

I wouldn't worry about tonal problems with the change, but I'd check to
make sure everything else will fit first, and can be made to accommodate
the new string height. Stack on the action frame, hammer flange center
height, hammer bore distances, etc. I'd try to find a rational reason, like
plate warpage for instance, why it was done the way it was done in the
first place to avoid most of the nasty little possible surprises.

Ron N