Rust on Strings

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:33:51 -0800 (PST)

I suggest that the concrete floor did not have an
adequate vapor barrier placed beneath it before it was
poured. It should have been plastic or vinyl of about
20 mils, I think. I also think that whoever poured the
floor should be held accountable, or at least
investigated, as this should probably not be happening
if proper building codes were obeyed. Get a $20
digital hygrometer from Radio Shack and see what the
interior humidity is.
     Unlined, a poured concrete floor is nothing more
than a great big sponge, absorbing and transmitting
moisture from the earth beneath. Pianos should never
be kept on them if there is any doubt as to whether
they have a liner beneath. Unless, of course, you wnat
your pianos to fall apart.
     Thump