First sighting of Kawai Upright with adjustable keyweight

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:48:03 EST

In a message dated 2/14/04 10:56:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
donmannino@comcast.net writes:

> Dave,
>
> The new Vari-Touch action levers will be made from ABS later.  It was easier
> to put it in production with wood parts at first, then work on making the
> molds now that the design is finalized.
>
> Don Mannino RPT
> Kawai America
>
> At 08:57 PM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
> >> List,
>>
>> I saw one of these Kawai uprights today(though I forget the proprietary
>> name), and it's interesting.  I didn't get as long as I'd have liked to look it
>> over, it seems pretty simple, as in "why didn't I think of that?"  There is
>> a rail parallel to the keyboard that slides fore and aft, moving the
>> flange, sticker, felt assembly to put it in the preferred position.  The whole
>> thing is operated by a lever on the right cheek block.
>>
>> One curiosity is that the flanges and stickers are made of wood.  Given
>> that Kawai has long used ABS parts, and has now graduated to carbon graphite
>> for the more expensive grand wippens, why the retro parts?  Mr. Mannino?
>>
>> I think it's a great idea, and it looks very easy to service.
>>
>> Dave Stahl

Don,

Thanks for responding.  And I wanted to correct my statement that the lever
is on the right cheek block.  It's on the left...

I really believe that this is an innovative design that will be copied by
many other companies in their own ways.

Dave Stahl