OT Posts (was Re: Yeah!!!) )

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:18:35 -0700

>How this this scenario. There are 19 responders to this subject line
>out of a total, what, 300+. Suppose the other 281+ have already set
>filters to dump anything with an "OT" in the subject line. The other
>19 of us are debating valiantly over whether or not OT posts even
>belong on the list, or should be censored, either by those inclined
>to write them or by filters. (Personally, I like the glimpse through
>other peoples' eyes on subjects away from pianos. Including Dale's
>Porsche, which I'll trade for my '97 Ford Escort wagon)
>
>So here we 19 are, worrying about the other 182+ who in fact are
>completely oblivious to this discussion because, thanks to them
>taking care of themselves, this thread doesn't exist.
>
>Mr. Bill

Bill,

I've already gotten overbearing on this subject, so I guess another
post about it won't make me much more so (I'm probably being filtered
out anyway by 281+ people).  I see your point.  However, I have some
problems with it:

1.  There are posts that might be construed as not directly piano
related that I think are beneficial to the list (OT Mapology), as
opposed to others that might cause the list to blow up, assuming
they're not being filtered out (OT Bush).  If one were to filter all
OT posts one would miss out on both.  However, if a majority of the
list wants to allow anything as long as OT is in the subject line,
then I'll play by those rules and filter all those things out and
lose some potentialy beneficial stuff, or I'll unsubscribe.

2.  In order to filter you still have to download.  This is not a big
problem for me, but I think it may be for people with slower
connections.  I also think the sheer volume of posts keeps some
potentially valuable contributors away.

3.  I don't know how the digests work as I've never subscribed in
that way.  Do they still have to look through all this stuff?

4.  There's still the matter of the archives.  All this stuff just
means more data to be searched through to find what you want (perhaps
not a problem with current search engines).  And perhaps searching
subject lines would not be a problem if people were more careful to
change subject headings when they change topics, such as changing
from hammers to apes, so that when you are searching for 'hammers'
you don't get apes.

5.  As far as I know, Dale doesn't have a Porsche.  He's just fantasizing.

Phil Ford