cheekblock/fallboard removal

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:45:14 -0500

I've encountered an Apollo where the fallboard hinged on brackets =
screwed to the panel behind the fallboard. I had to remove 4 screws from =
the flange sticking up above the plate in front of the tuning pins. Then =
remove the panel and fallboard together. Cheekblock screws were then =
accessible.=20
=20
Dean
=20
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On =
Behalf Of Tvak@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 9:35 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: cheekblock/fallboard removal
=20
List

Nothing is more embarrassing than not being able to get the fallboard =
and cheekblocks out of the piano when you want to work on an action =
problem.  This happened to me yesterday with a Howard grand, circa =
1920s.  Fallboard did not lift out.  Cheekblocks had screws from the =
top, but would not come out when the screws were removed.  There was no =
screw from the side (horizontally accessible below the key).   Removed a =
screw from below, but no luck: it was there to hold the leg on.  I think =
that perhaps there was another screw behind the fallboard but since I =
couldn't get the fallboard out either, I'm not sure.

Any ideas on how to open this Howard grand up?

I have listed below the different configurations of cheekblock/fallboard =
designs that I am familiar with.  Could anyone add to this list?  =
Perhaps the combined experience of the list will help some of us avoid =
lost time and utter humiliation in front of our clients!

This is what I've come across so far:
     CHEEKBLOCKS
          Screwed in from below
          Screwed in from above (often under a rubber button)
          Screwed in from the side (access below key)
          Attached to fallboard, screwed in from below
     FALLBOARDS
          Lifts out=20
          Screwed in with tiny screws accessible and viewable from the =
front
          Screwed in on the metal hinge thingee, accessible if pulled =
forward at a 45 degree angle and                unscrewed from the side
          Attached to cheekblocks: unscrew cheekblocks and remove =
fallboard and cheekblocks=20
               together (ala Steinway)

Unfortunately for me the Howard grand fits into none of these =
categories.

HELP!

Tom Sivak
Chicago Chapter PTG