epoxy tuning hole repair

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:41:38 -0600

Yes indeed, looks and sounds very sturdy.  Interesting bridge and soundboard, too.  How much of that is original design, and how much is "Farrellization"?

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: spalding48@earthlink.net;Pianotech
Sent: 2/16/2004 2:36:31 PM
Subject: Re: epoxy tuning hole repair

Here is a picture of an insert. In this case I made the insert in two pieces - one for the long bridge strings and one for the bass. I made the edges irregular to preserve the original plate screw holes and yet get new pinblock material at each tuning pin hole location. I routed out the tuning pin field and then simply cut the pinblock to fit loosely. The whole system is epoxied into place. I also epoxied a number of 1/2-inch and 3/4-inch dowels through the original block and the new pinblock material through into the backposts. Pretty solid setup I should think.

Terry Farrell