Linen

Phil Romano romano@sccoast.net
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:00:45 -0500

Hi Barbara,

I would recommend against steaming a lacquered hammer. You will end up
with a wet hunk of gooey felt. If you feel you need to soften,
traditional needling or an acetone wash is called for.

Phil romano
Myrtle Beach, SC

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Barbara Richmond
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 4:55 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Linen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 3:23 PM

> > Listed is 10" x 6" length of Irish linen.  Here's my question:  Does

> > it have to be Irish linen, or can it be a good quality, rather
> > expensive 100% linen, medium weight (similar I suppose to a cloth
> > napkin) from the fabric store in Central Illinois?
>
> You definantly want quality as opposed to Irish... :)

Now, Ric...........

> > Or are we talking
> > lightweight like handkerchiefs?
>
> A hanky might do just fine actually. Dont get it too wet... rather be
> conservative the first time around until you get the hang of this.

Thanks for the advice.

> > I've got my iron and am ready to go...........:-)
>
> May I ask just what kind of piano

It's my Steinway grand.

> and hammers you are working on ? Curious !

Groan.....you would ask.  Umm......I'm not sure!  (Boy, am I going to
hear about this!)  I guess I could call the guy who hung them and ask if
he
remembers--it was 15 years ago!  Do I get the space cadet award?   The
truth
is, I had my piano rebuilt at a point in my life when I had more money
than time.  (Besides, it was a major rebuilding job and I don't like to
do that
stuff.)  Anyway, I'd like to try softening the shoulders to try for a
bit more sustain on a few notes that are pretty hard with lacquer.

Barbara Richmond, RPT