Linen/Steam Voicing

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:19:25 -0800

Barbara said: "Anyway, I'd like to try softening the shoulders to try for a
bit
> more sustain on a few notes that are pretty hard with lacquer.

Barbara,
Hmmm? I don't think steaming will effect hammers with lacquer. Try some
Acetone on the crown(s). This will wash the lacquer down into the lower area
of the hammer, where, I think, firmness is a good thing. Then, as RicB
suggests, needles for evening out and getting the tone you want. Steam,
IMHO, is for those "BB" hard thingees that some manufacturers call
hammers.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police