hearts on fire

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:30:49 -0700

At 10:38 PM 2/17/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>    Maybe it was Valentines, maybe it was a fever, but in any event, I am now
>the owner of a Sohmer grand piano.  It is the "Cupid Model".  Yep, the
>name is
>cast right there in the plate.
>    Made in 1927, it has a slightly art deco case, perfect ivory, had has
>never been played.  I have a buyer at 5 times my purchase price, so will be
>restringing and probably putting in a block.  Nice looking board and good
>sound.
>However......
>     This piano has agraffes on most of the treble bridge, set in a cut-out
>notch in the front half of the bridge, which allows the strings to pass
>through
>the agraffe and also bear on the bridge itself.  Duh,  I have never seen
>anything like this, but I bet someone on the list has. If so,  is there
>anything in
>particular that I should know or is it as straightforward as it looks?
>Thanks,
>
>Ed Foote RPT

Hey Ed,
   Congrats.... and.... Really? You've never seen one like that? Well....
they can be okay, but.... look carefully for a wave, or soundboard "roll"
just on the speaking side of the long bridge, from about F3 on up to...
oh... C6ish. It really shows up if you pour a liquid on it. Or... it may
not be there at all. Other than that.... OH!.... don't forget the plate
crack in the treble .... right on the right end, webbing and strut. Very
weldable. Bad scale, you know.
Good Luck!

Guy