hearts on fire NOT OT

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:37:52 EST

Guy writes:
<<  Ed.... BTW... the treble crack that has show up on 5 or 6 of those
Sohmers down here has been pretty easy to fix, with a "scab" of steel on
the outside (right) side of the strut. There's always been enough room
between the strut and the rim. The "Cupid" model is narrower, as I recall,
and may require a bit of extra grinding/fitting. >>

 Umm, now you are scaring me.  There is no crack on this plate at the moment.
What I am wondering about is whether they crack when removed, or what?  I
have the intention of pulling the plate, cleaning up the board and bridges, and
restringing.  Is there some particular liability to the plate when doing this?
   And, it also appears that the scaling on this model is in question.  I
wonder whether to have one of our intrepid rescalers write me up one or if this
has already been done, maybe I could buy a copy? (the piano is 5'4" and has a
26 note bass).   Newton drew up new scales for several odd brand pianos and the
results were always good.....
REgards,

Ed Foote RPT