You vs. Them

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:37:38 -0500

On Feb 18, 2004, at 1:52 PM, Tvak@aol.com wrote:

>  When it comes down to you vs. them, how do you deal with that?=A0=A0=20=

> Perhaps in her country of origin it is appropriate behavior to haggle=20=

> over things such as this.=A0=A0 I found it offensive.=A0 I just wanted =
to=20
> get out of the house and be done with her.

Ah yes, cultural diversity! 'Tis true, in some cultures more than half=20=

the fun of a purchase is in the bargaining.  On the other hand, I (for=20=

one) am most accustomed to "one price, no bargaining." Long ago, when I=20=

was making a living around Taipei as a piano technician,  street=20
vendors were offended that I paid their high asking price for, say, an=20=

umbrella, without pleasantly counter-offering half their asking price,=20=

and coming to a price somewhere in between, depending on my language=20
skills and ability to critique the item at hand.

Some folks like it, some can't stand it.

Cultural differences aside -- yes, some customers are unpleasant to=20
deal with, and it's your right to "just say no" when they call.

In the meanwhile, raise your rates and you'll feel a bit better.

Patrick Draine

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched