You vs. Them

Fred Brown fbrown3@mindspring.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:05:20 -0500

Tom,
I know the feeling. I had a lady(piano teacher no less) who had been given a
spinet to use as a second piano. When I talked to her over the phone I
stated my fees which also might include a $25-$35 extra charge for a pitch
raise. When I arrived at her door she then spent the next 1/2 hour(no
exaggeration) trying to talk me down re my fee. As I recall the piano was
100cents flat and she intended to use it as a teaching piano. I began my
service call by repairing a couple of broken hammer shanks for which I was
going to charge her a measly $25 for 1/2 hr of labor. When I finished the
repair I packed my tools and told her then to find someone else to do the
tuning and refused payment for the work that I had already done. This was a
first for me...you would have to know me to know that I typically take care
of the customer's interests before mine. I won't mention country of origin
but it seems to be standard operational procedure to dicker over price for
some nationalities. They ONLY back when when they feel they have offended
you...then are glad to pay because they think they have struck the best
deal. I had a tight schedule and told her that I could either tune the piano
twice or stand there and argue with her but that I couldn't do both...packed
my stuff and left.
My next customer of the day complemented me on my promptness and gave me an
extra $20 for lunch.
GO FIGURE
Fred Brown RPT
Atlanta