what is downbearing?

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:00:30 -0500

Julia -

The questions are disarmingly innocent when viewed within the context of
the numerous debates, at times extremely contentious, which have taken
place here over the last x number of  days, weeks, months, years.  In other
words, you are absolutely correct in asking, but simple answers do not do
your questions justice, if you truly wish to understand.  In Dale's effort
to supply just such a simple answer, there is, mixed together, both
accurate and potentially confusing information...confusing in the sense
that it states as accepted fact much of what we seem to have been arguing
about, of late.

I do agree with the basic idea of downbearing as being the force directed
against the bridge in response to a deflection of the string plane by the
bridge height, and, I suppose it is the general consensus that   "It is
important there be some, just how"much" would vary with the specific design
of the piano."   I also agree that both the archives and past issues of the
journal should be thoroughly examined in order to begin to understand the
larger ramifications of downbearing.

However, much of the remainder continues to be debated:

>It is also important that there be "crown" on the soundboard.

So what do we do with all these claims regarding pianos that seem to sound
good without any measurable crown?

>If the soundboard has collaspsed--it is still possible if the plate is low
>enough that there will be "downbearing".

But we still debate whether such downbearing has the same effect as the
same amount on a flat or positively crowned board.

>With negative downbearing the strings will not touch the top of the bridge.

Of course, Dale means that, were you to remove the bridge pins from a
string which had such negative downbearing, it would not contact the bridge
surface.  Yet negative downbearing is another of those issues whose
significance has recently been undergoing review in this forum.

>Postive crown and positive downbearing are usually considered to be
>desireable for an instrument to sound well.

And yet, as stated above, there are constant claims of fine results without
the presence of crown, for example:

>Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:56:42 -0500 (EST)
>From: Erwinspiano@aol.com
>Subject: Re: No downbearing ?
>I recently put bridge caps on one of the first Baldwin Uprights (1880)
>ever built. (Gorgeous looking & sounding) The board was flat as a pancake.
>I shimmed hairline cracks and then applied scraped off the old varnish and
>epoxy finish treatment to the front of the board. This is an amazing
>sounding piano. I really think that the hardness of the epoxy finish is
>also a contributing tonal factor.

I'm not looking for answers to the above comments here, as I'm still
slogging through the many posts that were submitted, just since August,
regarding downbearing, crown and soundboards.   As much as I felt
unfulfilled by the recent threads regarding downbearing and coupling, I
realize that any current discussion must be informed by what others have,
with considerable sacrifice and generosity, already contributed.

Good luck in your quest, Julia.

David Skolnik