what is downbearing?

Don Gilmore dgilmore@kcmpi.net
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:44:00 -0600

Hi Stephane:

I guess it depends on how accurate your downbearing figure needs to be.  =
Remember that it will be small in comparison to the string tension.  A =
dip angle of as much as 5 degrees will result in a downbearing force of =
T * sin 5.  Sin 5 is about .0872, so the downbearing force would only be =
about 9% of the string tension.  For a string tension of 150 lbs this =
would only amount to about thirteen pounds.  I guess it just depends on =
how accurate the downbearing figure needs to be.

Even how "in-tune" the piano is will affect this force.  For example, =
changing A-440 from 440 Hz to 441 Hz would increase the string tension =
by about 1/2%.  The downbearing would also change by this percent.  A =
string with a tension of 150 lbs would increase by about .75 lbs.  If we =
use the 5-degree case above, this would change the downbearing force by =
about .07 lbs, or about an ounce (30 g).  Is this a lot?  Is this =
negligible?  I'll let you guys argue that.

If you have a good way to measure the angle, this method should be =
pretty damned accurate.  I used it extensively to calculate the upward =
force on the agraffes for the self-tuning piano (which has fiberglass =
agraffes) and got good results.  However, the angle is greater in this =
case so the force is much larger.  The force increases to as much as =
half the string tension at an angle of=20

arcsin (1/2) =3D 30 degrees.

I was also only concerned with tensile and fatigue strength, so I =
probably didn't need as accurate a figure as you are looking for at the =
bridge.

There are certainly more accurate methods for measuring the string =
tension, if necessary.  Using a strain gauge would be one of the most =
common.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City