Quiet Russian Piano

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:10:01 -0500

Hi Terry,

I remember once chatting with an immigrant Russian tech who was busily =
restoring an S&S M for a piano dealer.  He was fiercely proud of the =
Renner action he was installing.  "German," he said with an assured =
smile.  He was obviously as happy as he could be.

He told me a bit about his history.  He did belly work (as I recall) for =
a Russian piano company.  He hated his job there, because the machinery =
was inferior, and he wasn't allowed the time needed to fit parts =
correctly.  Construction/assembly was very haphazard at best.  He said, =
contemptuously, that Russian pianos "are all CRAP."  (his emphasis and =
wording)  I remember being a bit surprised, considering Russia's =
attention to the arts.

I felt quite happy for the man that he found his way to a satisfying =
job, where he was doing his best work on pianos he considered worthy of =
his time.

With regard to the church's piano, I would venture a guess that it's =
just the nature of the beast.  I bet the soundboard is poorly designed, =
poorly fit, and perhaps rather thick.  It's also quite possible that =
wire diameters were whatever the factory had on hand at the time.  Just =
a guess.

Peace,
Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20