Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:27:48 -0500

David,

Didn't the photos show it all? It is a straight stick of wood with a
notch cut in it. You hold it flat on the string plane and measure the
gap between the end and the string rest. I showed the stacking gauges I
use. This tells me what the bearing condition is. I am only interested
in the total bearing not whether the bridge is tilted or what. In the
type of pianos I work on I have never sean a situation where a slight
tilt to the bridge was found to be the source of a tonal problem. It may
be a symptom but not the cause. I guess somewhere there are pianos with
serious bridge role, but expect that by the time this develops many
other things have gone wrong as well.

David Skolnik wrote:

> John Hartman - John Hartman
>
> Can you elaborate as to how you use the method and tools to which you
> refer below in measuring downbearing in a strung piano?

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979

Piano Technicians Journal
Journal Illustrator/Contributing Editor

John Hartman
The Universal, How-to, Hands-on Illustrator