Knuckle removal

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:03:35 -0500

--=====================_1780718==.ALT
Tom,
         I've removed knuckles in the past by simply zipping them off with=
=20
the band saw. Once their off you can turn the shank on it's side and finish=
=20
the removal with ... you guessed it ... the band saw. This provides a clean=
=20
job and allows me to keep the size of the original mortise which is the=20
best fit for the new knuckles. I've had to do occasional clean up of the=20
mortise with a razor blade of my pocket knife but usually just the band saw=
=20
was needed.
         That having been said, I think it's much more expedient to hang=20
the hammers on new shanks. Price it out and you'll see that with your time=
=20
spent and the additional benefit of straight shanks and a new action center=
=20
you're much better off.

Greg Newell

At 02:13 AM 2/24/2004, you wrote:

>List,
>             I=92ll be replacing knuckles soon on an older Steinway and am=
=20
> considering the removal tool offered by pianotek . It seems reasonably=20
> priced and I wondered if anybody has used it or can offer any other=20
> suggestions for removing knuckles.
>             Thanks,
>             Tom Driscoll
>
>P.S. This action plays reasonably well even before clean-prep -regulate=20
>etc. So I =91m planning on just matching the original size with Abel=20
>knuckles. Thoughts?
>             Tom Driscoll
>
>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.