Lowell Gauge

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:02:19 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Finally, I'd like to say that I'm not happy with Tom Lowell's attention to
>the market for his downbearing gage, which I believe is the best reader of
>what's happened to downbearing and the bridge over the decades. In fact,
>some enterprising supply house could look at his patent to see just how
>secure it is. I gather that Baldwin's "prior art" is overwhelming in this
>little device, and the only reason he was able to patent and market it was
>because they chose to overlook his enterprise. I'd suggest that in light
>of his neglect (when's the last time a supply house told you when the item
>was going to be back "in stock"), someone else could easily step in,
>hopefully with Baldwin's blessings.
>
>Bill Ballard RPT
>NH Chapter, P.T.G.

As a matter of interest, I went and looked for his patent.  I thought it
might be old enough that it was no longer in force.  Not quite, but it
won't be too long until that's true (2 more years).  For those that are
interested, the patent for the gage is 4,798,005.  The patent contains
images of the gage and shows it in use.

I also found that Mr. Lowell had patented a method of simulating
downbearing load on a soundboard.  Basically the setup is a plunger mounted
on a frame over the piano.  The stated purpose is for more accurately and
consistently setting downbearing.  Seems like a good idea but I'm amazed
that a patent was granted for such a thing.  The number is 4,697,494.  That
one expires this year.

Phil Ford