Breaking Bass Strings on Samick

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:11:22 -0500

Went to service an 18-year-old Samick console this morning - SU-105, =
#619893. The two right wound bass strings on C#3 and D3 (treble-most on =
bass bridge) were broke at the coil. I spliced them with 0.034 wire =
(same as original core).=20

Bass was 40 cents flat, so I started a pitch raise at A0 (going with =
about an 8-cent overpull). During the pitch raise, the right strings of =
B2, C3 and C#3 (again) broke right where the wire from the V-bar starts =
into the coil. Started figuring that maybe the scaling was just too darn =
close to the breaking point.

Then I noticed that the V-bar is quite tall and the bottom row of tuning =
pins are at right angles to the plate - meaning that the string, between =
the V-bar and the tuning pin, approaches the tuning pin at quite an =
acute angle (guess - 70 or 80 degrees? - it's really quite an angle) =
rather than at a right angle. So much so that on adjacent pins, I can =
see that the string is starting to wind over the coil.

So what I think I have here is perhaps a scaling that is closer to =
breaking point than need be (maybe) and tuning pins that are drilled at =
an inappropriate angle (definitely) - they should be leaning back 10 or =
20 degrees so that the string meets it at 90 degrees or so.

So, my question is what is the best and/or most cost efficient remedy? I =
can install strings with a thicker core - but obviously that will affect =
scaling and hence tone (and this piano sounds pretty good for what it is =
- or isn't). I suspect the only "real" solution would be to plug through =
the plate and redrill the tuning pin holes (yes, of course, what it =
really needs is a new pinblock - or better yet, a new piano!). But =
YIKES, that seems extreme. But then again, I really can't imagine what =
else to do.

Maybe pound in a longer tuning pin and leave the coil a half-inch off =
the plate? Seems kinda goofy (but simple).

Any bright ideas out there?

Roger? Warranty?

I posted this to the list also because I know this is not the only piano =
where this problem exists.

Terry Farrell