pressure bar screw missing

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:37:05 EST

List

Maybe this is no cause for concern, but...

I'm doing some work on a Steinway V.   It is my own piano, purchased for
resale.   I just had the piano restrung and the cabinet refinished, by an
associate of mine.   Got the piano back today.   I started out by chipping the piano
up to pitch.

The last screw on the left on the pressure bar which spans B2 through F#5, is
missing.   The restringer didn't put it back in because it was rusty and he
wanted to replace it with a new one.   OK.   But as I chipped strings up and I
got to the two bichords right under the missing screw, B2 and C3, it seemed as
if they weren't moving up in pitch like the other strings.   They were about
a 5th low and when I started to turn the pin they moved upward, but then they
seemed to stop, even though I was still turning the pin.

On the one hand, they're wound bichords so they would act differently than
their plain steel string neighbors to the right.   But I started to get paranoid
that perhaps they weren't moving up in pitch because they were forcing the
pressure bar upward.

I know I'll have to let the tension down in that area to put the screw in
anyway, but just as a matter of understanding the situation, is it possible that
I could cause damage to the pressure bar by pulling these strings up to pitch
with that screw missing?   Keep in mind that this is a Steinway:   their
pressure bars are about the diameter of a hockey stick made out of metal!   My gut
instinct tells me that I could do just fine without that screw, but either
these strings were acting funny, or my imagination got the better of me.

Straighten me out.

Thanks,
Tom Sivak
Chicago