Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:59:25 -0500

Richard, Kent,

Here are the two I have that were scanned from the slides. The first one
shows the block in the final stages of construction. I made it as a copy
with all quarter sawn maple. As seen here I have not yet cut and
veneered the cove in the front. It looks like I have just finished
trimming the rosewood veneer on the top of the yoke. The second photo
shows the finished product. This was a 7' 2" 1864. The larger 8' 4" ones
don't seem to rotate as much. Indeed the wrest plank, with its yoke, is
truly massive but still, after 100+ years, it twists in the middle.  The
best way to observe this is to place sticks on top of the yoke and see
how much it has winded. The ends stay parallel with the rest of the case
but the middle will dip significantly down.

--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979

Piano Technicians Journal
Journal Illustrator/Contributing Editor

John Hartman
The Universal, How-to, Hands-on Illustrator