Yet another email scam going around

Andrew Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:24:03 -0700

Just a reminder of something most of you know already:  If you get
email that says something like "Update your account" or "Your account
is expiring" or "Update your information" it is almost certainly a scam.

The "paypal" website has had this problem for quite a while.  People get
email that appears to come from paypal, and it contains an HTML message
with the paypal logo on it, etc.  There are blanks for you to fill in your
information and a button to click to "Update" it.  Of course the button
takes you to some completely different site where they collect your information
to use it fraudulently.  The tricky thing it, the only way you know it is
going to a different site is to look at the HTML *source* of the message
you're viewing.  How many people do that?  Obviously not many because the
scan is still in common use.

I just got a nicely formatted HTML message that asked me to "Update your
account on www.ptg.org" and asked for my username and password.  Now
I can't imagine why anyone would want to trick us into giving up our ptg.org
usernames and passwords, since we don't use them for anything really secure.
Go figure.

Anyway, please be assured that we will never send out a form for you to
update your www.ptg.org account, so if you get the message, just delete it.
(The only automated messages we send out are the "Mailman" password reminder
messages which require no action on your part.)

More importantly, if your bank sends you such a message, or some other
institution where someone could do you real harm by having your username
and password, DO NOT FILL IN SENSITIVE INFORMATION and respond to the message!
It is nothing but a common scam.

-andy

p.s.  Regardless of what the "From" header says, these messages have not
       been coming through the PTG server at all -- the From field is forged.
       So although I would love to filter them out for you, the PTG server
       isn't even involved and can do nothing about it.