No downbearing ?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 07:52:10 -0500

"...you'll only find a few with soundboards that were designed to have a =
crown..."

On what basis do you conclude that these old uprights have soundboards =
that were designed to not have crown?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 8:56 PM
  Subject: Re: No downbearing ?

  In a message dated 12/31/2003 7:10:31 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
jjgranas@zigzag.pl writes:
    Hello y'all and tout le monde,

    I have come across a puzzling suggestion a few weeks ago: Namely, =
that downbearing is not really necessary in order to transfer the =
vibration of the string to the soundboard panel, the mere "grip" that =
the string has on the bridge being sufficient to assure this transfer. =
Would anyone of you with experience in such issues care to comment?=20

    Happy New Year everybody
    Wishing you all wonderful crowns, tight pins, and fautless =
repetition,=20

    Jean-Jacques Granas

        Jean
    I agree with the rest of these posts.  Look at all the old American =
uprights you want, but you'll only find a few with soundboards that were =
designed to have a crown and hence downbearing & Many of them sound very =
nice. In my mind the upright soundboard is more of a mass driven system. =
I.e. long strings and big soundboards. These boards are tapered, thicker =
at the top in the treble & gradually thin down to about 1/4" near the =
bass/ bottom end for flexibility.=20
      I recently put bridge caps on one of the first Baldwin Uprights =
(1880) ever built. (Gorgeous looking & sounding) The board was flat as a =
pancake. I shimmed hairline cracks and then applied scraped off the old =
varnish and epoxy finish treatment to the front of the board. This is an =
amazing sounding piano. I really think that the hardness of the epoxy =
finish is also a contributing tonal factor.
     Food for the new year.
     Dale Erwin
      Erwin Piano Restorations