Pitchlist - WAS: Re: Old Bosie

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:53:04 -0600

Ric, cy, et al,

At 15:54 1/6/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Cy Shuster wrote:
> > Is there really that much difference in cumulative string tension between
> > A435 and A440?  (I know, I should do the math...)  I'm aware that A435 used
> > to be the standard.
>
>There used to be lots of standards... and Vienna...where this instrument
>comes from has a history of dinking around with really high standard
>pitchs. At present the Vienna Symphony uses A444. When this piano was
>built pitchs around A453 were floating around. I dont know what the
>world record for the highest Apitch is ... but Vienna probably would
>hold it !

What follows is the result of some research i did on the subject, many
years ago. if the columns work out, there are
Frequency/identification/approximate year.
Interspersed are the pitches of equal temperament@440Hz

Praetorious wins on this list...

         Pitch Standards for A
compared with modern European equal temperament scale based on A440. Many
of these are from Alexander Ellis' book and were measured or deduced from
actual forks, organ pipes or other instruments.

Hz      Location      ==== Temp. Pitch ====             Year

369.994 F#
                 Church Pitch Lowest

370     Ideal Lowest
374     Hospice Comtesse                                1700
377     Schlick low                                     1511
  "      Bedos de Celles                                 1766

                 Church Pitch Low

391     Strasburg Cathedral  Silbermann Organ          1714
391.995 G
392     St Petersburg  Euler Clavichord                1739
395     Cambridge  Trinity College Organ/Father Smith  1759
396     Versailles Organ                                1789
         DeCaus                                          1615

                 Chamber Pitch Low

400     Paris Opera                                     1700
403     Mersenne Spinet                                 1648
407     Paris  Spinet by Sauveur                       1713
408     Matteson, Hamburg                               1762
409     Paris  Court Clavecins  (Pascal Taskin)        1783
414.4   Breslau  Clavichord (Marpurg)                  1776

                 European Mean Pitch for two centuries

415     Dresden  Silbermann Organ                      1722

415.305 G#
420     Freiberg                                        1714
  "      Seville                                         1785
421.6   Mozart's piano (from Stein's fork)              1780
422.5   Haendel's tuning fork                           1751
422.6   Lille, France                                   1754
422.7   Broadwood                                       1800
423     Westminster Abbey Organ                         1820
  "      Paris Theatre Feydeau                           1820
423.2   Dresden, Band of the Opera                      181521
423.3   Philharmonic Society                            1813
424     Praetorius suitable pitch                       1619
424.1   Eutin, Germany                                  1740
424.2   Paris Italian Opera                             1823
425     Paris Italian Opera                             1829
425.8   Paris Grand Opera                               1824
427.1   Paris Grand Opera                               1811
427.6   Paris Theatre Feydeau                           1823
428     Renatus Harris Organ                            1696
430     Paris (M Lemoine)                               1810
431.5   Paris Opera                                     1828

                 Compromise Pitch

433     Sir George Smart's tuning fork                  1828
         Broadwood                                       1820
433.9   Vienna Opera                                    1834
         Concurrent Scheibler forks:     436.5   \
                                         439.4    \
                                         440.3     >     1834
                                         441.1    /
                                         445.1   /
434     Paris Grand Opera                               1834
435     French Diapason (tuning fork) Normal            1859
  "      International                                   1892
  "      Dresden, Band of the Opera                      182530
  "      Karlsruhe - Jos. Strauss                        1859
435.4   Philharmonic Society                            1828
436     St Petersburg Opera                             1796
438     Paris Theatre Feydeau                           1829
439     New Philharmonic                                1896

=== Modern Orchestral Pitch and Ancient Medium Church Pitch =====
440  A  American Federation of Musicians                1917
  "      U.S. Government                                 1920
  "      Associated Music Industries                     1925
  "      International Standard                          1939
  "      Paris Conservatoire                             1812
  "      Dresden Opera                                   1862

440.2   Scheibler's Stuttgart Standard                  1834
441     Covent Garden Opera                             1878
  "      Paris Grand Opera                               1836
  "      Paris Italian Opera                             1836
  "      Paris Theatre Feydeau                           1836
441.8   Berlin Opera                                    1834
442     Hampton Court Palace                            1690
  "      Bernhardt Schmidt low                           1690
442.4   Érard  Paris                                   1899
443.3   Paris  Woelfel pianofortes                     1836
444     Paris  CavailléColl organ                     1859
444.6   London  St Paul's Cathedral Organ              1877
445     Madrid                                          1858
445.9   Broadwood's medium pitch                        184954
446     Paris - Pleyel pianos                           1854
447     Vienna Opera                                    1878
  "      Paris Opera                                     1858
448     Hamburg Opera                                   1839
449     Leipzig Gewandhaus                              1859
  "      Paris Conservatoire                             1853
450     Covent Garden Orchestra                         1879
451     British & Belgian Instrument Std                1879
452     London  International Exhibition               1885
452.5   Philharmonic Society                            184654
455     London Philharmonic (highest)                   1874
455.3   Érard,Broadwood,Steinway,Brinsmead              1880
456.1   Vienna, old sharp pitch (Streicher piano)       1834
457.2   American Steinway                               1890

                 Church Pitch High

458     Great Franciscan Organ, Vienna                  1640
461.6   Highest U.S. Concert Pitch                      1800's
466.164 A#
474     Tomkins                                         1668
  "      B. Schmidt, high                                1683
481     St Catherine's, Hamburg                         1543
489     St James, Hamburg  Schnitger Organs            1688

                 Church Pitch Highest

493.883 B
494     St James, Hamburg                               1879
496     Rendsburg                                       1668
504     Arnold Schlick high                             1511
506     Halberstadt Cathedral                           1361
522.5   Handel's tuning fork                            1751
523.251 C

554.365 C#

                 Chamber Pitch Highest

563     Mersenne, ton de chambre                        1636
567     Pretorius                                       1619
587.33  D

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.