Olde Bosie/Cy

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:22:15 -0800

Cy said: "Is there really that much difference in cumulative string tension
between
A435 and A440?  (I know, I should do the math...)  I'm aware that A435 used
to be the standard.

Also, since the treble strings have more tension than the bass, why does
tuning in order from A0 to C88 result in the least overall complications
when doing a pitch raise?  (I read this in the TuneLab documentation).
Wouldn't you want to make the biggest tension adjustments first, and the
least last?

--Cy Shuster--
Cy,
I've done the math and there is, on average, approx. 5 pounds added tension,
per string, when raising from 435cps to 440cps.
Your second comment is a bit weird. If you are referring to "cumulative"
tension then you are correct. Per unison, there is generally more tension in
the bass. This is where the serious damage can come from, (The Bass).
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I