Buffing Keytops

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:32:33 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William R. Monroe=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 7:16 PM
  Subject: Buffing Keytops

  List,

  When you all do a keytop job, what (if any) buffing compound do you =
use to finish up the keys?

  Thanky,

  William R. Monroe
  Assoc.
  Madison, WI

      I've used Turtle Wax white polishing compound.  One can will last =
an entire career. Doesn't require much.  Just dab a little on a moist =
cloth, polish the keys in a circular or back-and-forth motion, wipe off =
the excess, then buff with a clean, dry, soft cloth.  This is ivories =
now, although I think polishing compound is probably a fine enough grit =
to do plastic also.=20
      I've also used "white rouge" applied to a buffing wheel.  It has a =
consistency somewhere between chalk and clay and comes in sticks about =
1" x 1" x 5".   "Tripoli" and "red rouge" are used by jewelers to polish =
silver, gold, marble, etc.  "Red rouge" is redundant since 'rouge' means =
red.  And the term "white rouge" is silly since it's white, not rouge.  =
Tripoli is similar stuff (first used in Tripoli, Libya, according to the =
encyclopedia), but it's brownish and will just dirty up the keytops, so =
use the white stuff (white rouge).  If doing plastics, or plastic key =
fronts, use a very light touch on the wheel and keep the rpm's low or it =
will heat up and melt, marring the keytop.  (Yes, I found out the hard =
way). =20
      --David Nereson, RPT    =20