Weber Concert Grand scaling, Sostenuto rail

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:55:54 -0600

I am stringing a 1908 Weber concert grand just under 9 feet long.  It was
restrung by a hack 30-40 years ago.  It has an open, compound pin block.  I
was able to remove the plate before cranking out the pins

The problem?  The string scale cannot possibly be the original.  I have
never seen any Weber in the Travis book or in my experience that started on
a wire size smaller than 13 gauge string and this one had 12 gauge on it.
The scale that was on this piano has three spots where the size changes with
a space one number and a half wide.  This does not follow any Weber scales I
have seen.  There are 66 unisons of non wound wire above the break.  I am
wondering if it originally had wound strings on the tenor side of the
break.The lowest tenor strings were only 20.5 gauge.  Perhaps they scaled it
thin to lessen the pressure on the soundboard which was flattening out and
cracked even back then.  When I get through recrowning the soundboard it
will be back up to par once again and I need the original scale to put back
on it.

The customer is a concert pianist and is adamant that he wants the factory
scaling if at all possible.  This is 1908 supposedly after the sale of Weber
to AEolian, so I am not sure earlier pre merger piano scales would be right.

Has anyone rebuilt any of this model of concert grand?

Also, does anyone have a source for sostenuto rail material.  I must make a
new one for this piano also, as it is missing.

Thanks for your help.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com