Weber Concert Grand scaling, Sostenuto rail

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:15:16 EST

In a message dated 1/8/2004 7:56:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dlbullock@att.net writes:
am wondering if it originally had wound strings on the tenor side of the
break.The lowest tenor strings were only 20.5 gauge.  Perhaps they scaled it thin
to lessen the pressure on the soundboard which was flattening out and cracked
even back then.
  >>>If they did I doubt this was the reason. It sounds like the string
lengths need to be run thru a good scale program to get a fix on reality for you &
the client. Its instructive to compare those finding to the scale that you
took off the piano.
When I get through recrowning the soundboard it will be back up to par once
again and I need the original scale to put back on it.

The customer is a concert pianist and is adamant that he wants the factory
scaling if at all possible.  This is 1908 supposedly after the sale of Weber to
AEolian, so I am not sure earlier pre merger piano scales would be right.
on tension and tone.

Has anyone rebuilt any of this model of concert grand?
   >>> Weber is an interesting maker. I don't see many However I did put a
Board in a 6 ft 1905 ish. which came out very sweet. Without looking thru the
notebook I have a vague recollection that it was a lighter tension scale. This
piano has a very sweet sound & long sustain but not a power house. It also has
a soft wood poplar rim.
  Regards --Dale Erwin

Also, does anyone have a source for sostenuto rail material.  I must make a
new one for this piano also, as it is missing.

Thanks for your help.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com