jack in the mortise

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:13:08 +0100

Tried a method given by Roger Jolly (I guess) to bend (twist) the post
and lock the bend with a dab of CY glue.

Did not had much success when I tried it, it may depend of the
strength of the post indeed.
A heat gun is the first tool to buy if one works on pianos ! a model
with thermostat and 2 speed of course, and having small noses or
accessories you can modify to have a smaller zone of heating.

Very useful also for all hide glue application, warming the part
slightly is a good security against dry glue joints.

I find often that the lever is twisted itself, it is not only a post
problem. Untwist a lever with heat is feasible, I've seen a fairly new
Steinway where most of the jacks are higher in the window on ones side
than the other, a very difficult to regulate piano then. the weight of
the roller is more one side of the lever, I believe this cause undue
friction on the whippen flange pin, slowing the repetition.

So some have experimented a good method to straighten by sanding or
whatever the actual contact and friction zone on the jack and the
lever ?
I have on some occasion burnished with a metal tool the jacks top and
the lever window, I generally rub them , but changing the edge of the
jack and eventually filing the top can be helpful if accurately done.

Isaac OLEG