univ. bass strings

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:23:20 -0500

I agree with you Dave. I carry a set of universals in my car. I will always
splice when I can. If the splice is not possible, some combination of
smaller, older, crummier pianos with owners who wish to minimize costs will
demand a universal. As the pianos get bigger, newer, nicer (or less bad) and
the owners willingness to pay for a return service call increases, those
folks will get a proper replacement. In many situations I explain the basic
difference between the universal and the proper replacement to the piano
owner and let them decide. At the extremes - with a really horrible old
spinet, I just put in the universal - and with the newer 7-foot Beckendorfer
in the $1,000K+ home, we really only have a conversation about a proper
replacement.

As far as which universal set to use. IMHO, any universal is a compromise -
so forget trying to figure out which universal set is "meant" for what
application - they were not "meant" for any fine piano. I don't strictly
view a universal as a piano string, but rather universals are linear objects
for occupying a space in the scale so that the hammer can hit it and make it
vibrate more-or-less at the desired pitch, and the damper can quiet it when
desired - they prevent the hammer from getting stuck in the gap between to
neighboring strings when an original is missing.

Will a universal replacement sometimes be virtually untunable because of
inappropriate inharmonicity? Sure. But I "tune" numerous "untunable" bass
strings in supposedly "fine" pianos. Nothing going to stand out there. So
certainly a nice cheap odd-ball string will fit right into the typical
little past-its-prime spinet (did most spinets ever have a prime?). And
sometimes they really don't work out all that bad.

I carry the full Schaff #2019 (B-48) series, sizes 1 through 12 (including
half sizes), plus the full #2010 (S-50) series, plus B-48, size 01 from the
#2006 series. With this combination of sets I have diameters 0.051" through
0.212" with no gaps and no duplicates. From these I just pick a wrap
diameter to match. If all the bass strings from the note are missing, I just
pick a size between the neighbors.

Terry Farrell