Bandsaw Veneer Cutting

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:13:49 -0500

Thanks Greg, but how do you go about cutting an exactly 1.0 mm thick
veneer - not 1.1 mm, not 0.9 mm, but 1.0 mm? My saw is the first bandsaw I
ever cut a stick on, so I'm sure there are some basic techniques that I am
simply ignorant of.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: Bandsaw Veneer Cutting

Terry,
         If your new Bandsaw doesn't do this you've messed up the settings
somehow. Since we both have the same unit except that you purchased yours a
little after mine and have the new and improved ceramic guides, I can say
that definitively as I have no problem cutting veneers of any thickness
repetitively. Once the veneers are cut you can use double sided tape to
stick them to a known flat board and run them through the planer for
cleaning up unless of course you prefer the drum sander which will do
approximately the same thing providing that the planer knives are sharp and
set properly.  Hope this helps.

Greg

At 07:24 AM 1/14/2004, you wrote:

>Dear Woodworking Shop Rats,
>
>I have an ever-present need to cut thin (usually thin, but any thickness)
>wooden veneers on my bandsaw. I don't have a technique for making
>uniform-thickness cuts that I find satisfactory. How do the more
>talented/experienced woodworkers do this? What I can envision is a fence
>that the saw operator can move along an incremental/indexed rail - a jig
>that is real accurate so that you could, for example, just lop off 1.5 mm
>thick veneers, one after the other, all the same thickness. But I know of
>no such jig. I'm sure there is some basic bandsaw technique I am missing,
>as I should think this has been a basic need for many woodworkers for at
>least since the bandsaw was invented.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts.
>
>Terry Farrell
>
>---