action centers

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:19:22 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

I do exercise the centers before taking a measurement.

Also, according to the Renner drawing that you provided some time ago, if
I'm interpreting the drawing correctly, the 2-3 g is at a Messpunkt
(measuring point) from the center of 23 mm.  This is near the end of the
flange.  I measure next to the screw hole because that is a better defined
point that is more repeatable for me, so my measurement should be higher.

The point was that the numbers are not consistent from part to part.  On
this latest set, the measured values for this particular center over 88
wippens ranged from almost 0 (zero) to 10 grams.  I consider this an
unacceptably wide range for fine work.  And this is not an isolated
case.  The last several sets of wippens and shanks and flanges that I have
used have had this kind of variation.

Phil Ford