Cracked Steinway lid

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:09:40 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Bob,

Since you said ANY comments, I'll offer a few, although I don't know how
helpful they will be in your particular situation.  I have a Steinway C on
which the lid was broken in half by the movers, bless them (fortunately it
was on the way to the refinisher rather than on the way back).  I repaired
this lid with good results.  I've also repaired a couple of other broken
lids, so that's the extent of my experience - not extensive by any
means.  All the lids I repaired ended up being black, either because the
piano was already black, or because extensive repairs (such as fixing a
broken top) dictated that life would be easier if the piano was black.

If you want to repair the lid and have a clear finish on it (have it still
be rosewood), that's going to be tough, unless you have a really good
touchup person.  In my experience if there is a break in the face veneer at
the same place that there is a break in the core, then eventually there
will be a crack in the finish.  One option is to just live with this and
call it patina.  In which case, join the two halves with biscuits as you
suggested.  I would use epoxy since the two halves aren't going to be flat
and clean.  Also the epoxy will give a better color match to the rosewood
than wood glue.  Another option would be to try to replace a strip of
veneer and try to get a decent match with the existing veneer, and then
have the lid refinished.

Here's what I did on the Steinway lid.  I cleaned up the two mating edges as
best I could by removing any splinters, etc.  Joined the two halves with
biscuits using epoxy.  I joined it on a large flat surface and used straight
pieces of wood clamped across the lid to keep it flat while the epoxy
cured.  BTW, I laid wax paper over the top to keep from bonding the wood
clamp pieces to the lid and under the lid to keep from bonding it to the table.
When cured, I scraped off any excess epoxy.  Using
a straightedge as a fence I cut a shallow dado (a little less than 1/16 inch
deep) with a router and a dado bit, which spanned over the crack
(dado approximately 3 inches wide).  I did this on both faces of the
lid.  I then took some 1/16 inch poplar and cut to width to match the dados
and glued the strips in.  I don't remember if I used epoxy or wood glue for
that.  I then hand planed to almost flush and then belt sanded flush.  The
lid was then refinished.  The repair is invisible even after several
months.  I chose poplar because it is relatively soft and easy to plane and
sand and because it doesn't have any noticeable grain and is easy to
finish.  Also, since the lid was going to be black I didn't have to worry
about matching to what was there.  I would say total time involved was
about 6 hours.

You might take this a step further and route another slightly wider dado
just slightly less deep than the thickness of veneer (given the thickness
of veneer available these days, that may not be so easy - it would be better
to make your own thick veneer by resawing a piece of lumber, but since we're
talking about rosewood here, that's probably not an option).  Glue on some
veneer and then get it down level with the rest of the lid - belt sander
not a good idea in this case - I would probably use a scraper to do
that.  Then refinish and hope your refinisher is good enough to disguise
the fact that there is a non-matching piece of veneer.  Since the veneer on
the top is several flitches anyway, if you get a decent match on the wood
grain then it might not be that obvious.

Good luck

Phil Ford