S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:25:57 EST

Greetings,
   I have some serious reservations about using pre-hung hammers for
STeinways.  I have just finished installing a new action on a 1965 model B and
pre-hung hammers would have been a disaster.  Why?  Well,  the strike point for
optimum tone on this piano varies by section, requiring a hanging distance of 3 mm
shorter at the top break!  Had I just hung everything at 130 mm, this section
would have been dead.
   Maybe if a brand has control over their process, this sort of variability
wouldn't be a factor, but these are  the hand-made "standard" of the piano
world but they don't lend themselves to standard assemblies. G0 figure.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT