screwed up yamaha action rails

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:22:44 -0400

Hi Tom,
They may need to be backed out more than half a turn.
I find that turning them backwards, till they sort of click in place, then tightening works.
It is disheartening, when they go in crooked.
It seems to me that Young-Chang used to supply screws that were larger, by a smidgen, for the screw holes that were sometimes stripped.
Always stripped by someone else of course. :-)
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tvak@aol.com
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 4:07 PM
  Subject: screwed up yamaha action rails

  List

  I need to replace the hammer butt flanges on my U1.  It has aluminum action rails and the screws don't seem to go back in as nicely as they come out.  I mean, I feel like I'm digging a new hole in the aluminum.  I recall having the same problem in the field.  It took way too much work to get the screw all the way in.

  I've tried backing them out a half turn first, but it doesn't help.  It just seems like they'll go in at any one of a number of angles, none of which is straight and true to the hole.  Any advice?

  Help!  I don't want to screw up my U1!

  Tom Sivak