S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:21:42 EST

In a message dated 1/17/2004 10:47:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
Interesting post Ed. Are you simply moving the action in and out and
listening to the tone, or do you have some other slick techniques for determining
optimal strike points in various areas along the scale?

Perhaps my ears are just not yet refined enough (likely enough), but while I
can easily hear MAJOR differences in tone in the high treble when moving the
action in and out, well, let's just say its not as obvious to me in the lower
registers of the piano.

Terry Farrell

 Terry
 I'm not Ed but I do this all the time as well. I believe you have enough
experienc to  hear when there wrong & a simple trick that tells you when there
wrong is to play the notes chromatically from f-5 thru f-6. C-6 will usually be
one of the worst offenders in this test. After playing chromatically depress
the soft pedal so& be sure that all hammers are missing the left string then
notice how the sound gets real wimpy and nasal starting in about A-5 thru F-6.
Place a piece of tape at the front edge of where the action is located, now
remove the cheek blocks and slide the keyboard toward you a couple mm at a time
listening to the sustain, power & clarity with each move. You'll find the
improvement is usually fairly dramatic not subtle & the worse it was the farther
the hammers need to be hung towards the player. When you find the proper action
placement for each offending note make a mark on the tape. Then push the
action back in, install the blocks & the distance measured from the original action
placement to the new on will be the amount you move the hammer when
rehanging. The new strike line will usually take on the a shape of a small curve with
the apex usually being C-6.
  I find the top section an easier fix but can be done in the same way.
 Is this clear or mud?
  I find optimal strike points are often non existent in many pianos. Below
the "money note area" in tenor and bass the strike line isn't as big a deal.
You may try the same tricks but audible differences are harder to hear.
   Dale Erwin